Thursday, May 23, 2013

Preparation for the end!

I've been working for hours on end the past few nights, getting ready for my two-hour presentation. Just last night I got all of my materials for my first activity, and decided to try and test it out with some of my friends from my house to see how it worked. My activity is creating a parachute to demonstrate how hands-on learning works.

I first paired up Teo with Kendall, and Gabriel with Jocelyn. I then gave them a brief explanation of my first answer, a bit of my second, and set them on their task. With a box of materials, a plastic bag, and ten minutes on the clock, they were told to create a parachute that would float from the second story. Both teams began to make their parachutes in different ways, which is what I both expected and hoped for. After ten minutes had gone off, we went outside and tested out our parachutes.

Once we were done testing out a parachutes, I brought them inside, and debriefed. I asked them what worked, and they said the materials given definitely worked for the activity, and what didn't work, which they claimed was mostly just design flaws. I asked them whether a lesson in aerodynamics and air resistance would have helped them to create their parachutes, which demonstrates the apparent need for a strong education. I then asked them how they could see the connection to hands-on learning; how the activity got them to utilize hands-on learning characteristics. 

Testing out my activity really helped me to get me prepared for my presentation. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment