Thursday, May 9, 2013

Blog 24: Exit Interview Questions

(1) What is your essential question?  What is the best answer to your question and why?
What is the best way to get elementary school children to voice an interest in STEM careers? 
My best answer to my essential question is by ensuring that young students have a strong educational foundation in the core subjects of STEM: science and math. By giving children this quality education, the knowledge they have will help to generate curiosity and confidence in those subjects, which will eventually turn into interest and passion for STEM. Without this fundamental knowledge of science and math, they will be unable to exploit the curiosity within and will not likely wish to pursue a career in a subject they do not feel confident in or enjoy. 


(2) What process did you take to arrive at this answer?
My research led me to discover all three of my answers; some I found plenty of information for, and some I had to search for. My previous two answers, hands-on learning and parental encouragement, as ways to get children interested in STEM, I felt weren't completely necessary. I felt as though these answers were merely supplements, if you will. But a quality education; a strong knowledge of STEM is necessary. This knowledge is what can make or break STEM and future STEM careers for our youth. I felt that this is what set apart my best answer from my other two; without a proper education, hands-on learning and parental encouragement merely assist the process in voicing an interest in STEM careers.

(3) What problems did you face?  How did you resolve them?
At the beginning of the year, I experienced a variety of issues with my project. I had issues finding a stable mentor, which therefore affected my mentorship hours. I had an extremely difficult time narrowing down an EQ, which gave me too general of research. Feeling worried about the direction of my entire project, I decided to ask the senior team for a topic change. This change allowed me to pursue my original project idea, teaching, with a twist of engineering. From that, my new project, STEM, was born. In changing my project, I was able to find a stable mentor, my own third grade teacher, a steady place of mentorship, my old elementary school, and an outlet for plenty of helpful research, and a place to get real-world experience. 

(4) What are the two most significant sources you used to answer your essential question and why?
My first most significant source to answer my essential question was an article called, "Hands-on is minds-on" by Samantha Cleaver from Scholastic. This article essentially helped me to solidify my answer of Hands-On learning. It provides numerous examples and plentiful amounts of evidence of how effective and essential hands-on learning is to young children, and how it can be used most effectively. 
My second most significant source was an article by Diana Epstein and Raegen Miller, through the Center for American Progress. This article helped me to come up with my best answer, which is by providing a strong educational foundation in the subjects of STEM. This article pointed out many flaws with science and math education and the way teachers feel about it, that I was previously unaware of. It also pointed out that many teachers don't feel confident enough in their own education to teach science and math in their classrooms, which results in a mediocre education for our youth. This article helped me to find the most important issue with STEM education, and has led me to find ways to combat it. 

(5) What is your product and why?
The product of my senior project is that I know now that I do not wish to pursue a career in teaching. While I have certainly enjoyed the experiences I've shared with the many kids from my elementary school, I don't feel that it is for me. I have seen the 'behind-the-scenes' action of what it means to be a teacher; from grading, to parents, to misbehaving kids, to testing, etc., and I don't feel like the pros outweigh the cons in my book. I have considered a possibility in getting my credentials to become a substitute teacher for a few part time jobs here and there, since I do enjoy spending time in the classroom every now and then, however, full-time teaching is certainly not for me; and my senior project has allowed me to see that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment